June 1, 2011

A Smoker’s Smokin’ Hot Reaction on No-Smoking Laws in Metro Manila



I’m a smoker. I have been smoking since college, that’s almost a decade now. This last decade has been a struggle for smokers like me. Smoking back then was a breeze - it’s a strike-anywhere-anytime kind of thing.  When I feel the urge to smoke inside the mall, I just need to look for the nearest garbage bin and light a stick or two to relieve the urge. Never mind being an irresponsible smoker, an urge is an urge! (Btw, I'm a responsible smoker now, in case, it came across otherwise.) Then we were banned inside the mall.  And so we sought refuge from the gazebos outside of coffee shops.  The problem with this resolve is that it begets another addiction. Caffeine addiction. During frugal times, when budget won’t allow for a couple hundred worth of caffeine fix, I just content myself with smoking outside… just outside… anywhere “outside.” But now, smokers are faced yet again with another challenge, a "world-getting-smaller-and-smaller predicament."  Now, we cannot smoke in just any “outside” premises, at least not along the major thoroughfares of Metro Manila starting today, June 1, 2011.


Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), in partnership with 17 other Local Government Units (LGU) of Metro Manila  will start apprehending smokers who will be caught smoking cigarettes in public places in all major and secondary roads of Metro Manila. This is for more serious implementation of the Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003. Violators may either be fined P500 or render an eight-hour community service for first offense.   
Photo by Steven Snodgrass
I’d say, what the f*ck?! Why do I feel like the entire universe is conniving to make me feel “deprived!” Whhyyy?! Smoking is my thing. They’ve all been gone. But my dear Ciggy is the only one who sticks around. 
Well, they can try… but they can’t take that away from me! (right, Mariah?!) I’ve never been an outlaw. But with the development of this Smoking Ban in the metro, Ciggy and I might pull off a Bonnie and Clyde stunt if ever we’ll get caught! 

Too much defiance in the air! Too much defiance in the air! Pardon my profanity. I understand the good intention of the authorities behind this law. I guess the addiction got the best of me again. L

On a positive note, this may be a perfect time for me to finally give it up.  The struggle to quit smoking  has been the major SAGA of my life.  In so many instances, I was Jack Twist telling my Ciggy, “You are too much for me Ennis del Mar, you son-of-a-b*tch! I wish I knew how to quit you!”

Maybe this iron-fist approach would finally make me quit.  Who knows, I’d be one, among my fellow "would-be quitters," with a Smoke-free Metro Manila by 2012. It's funny how it sounded like a lame company vision-mission statement. Even I am not convinced by my own conviction! The odds are tough. I may need to summon all my fellow "demigods" (winks!) to grant me a "major, major" will power to overcome it. But for all its worth, I'm beginning to see the light of this strict No-Smoking Campaign.
You may view the complete MMDA's Strict Enforcement of No-Smoking laws in   Metro Manila at http://www.mmda.gov.ph/news.html.


_____________
Image credit: jupe_revolver

Disclaimer: The images used in this article do not represent the views and opinions of the actual photo owners (from flicker.com) for this blog. The author assumes full responsibility attached to this blog. The photo owners are protected by Flicker's Creative Commons' Copyright Policy.

11 comments:

carensmoja said...

Kharlie, don't hate me for this, but i think this is a good move for MMDA & LGU's. Take it as an opportunity to finally quit the stick. Put more fresh air in your lungs and live a longer "happy" life. Oh yeah, rather than smoke just go and blog away. (Winks!)

Karlie Bradshaw said...

I know! hehe it's the "smoking addict" in me that did all the talking! hehe The problem is I've found a new gratifying combination - smoking and blogging! - guess, I'll have a harder time kicking off the habit! Thanks for taking time to read! :)

♣ lily ♣ said...

A stick of cigarette takes away 10.7 minutes of your life.

10.7 minutes you could have spent with your family or friends.

10.7 minutes you can never get back.

10.7 minutes. SAYANG?

hehe... :P

Anyway, thanks po sa pagbisita. ^^,

empi said...

bad yang yosi na yan. itigil mo na. hehehehe

Angie said...

I think the No-Smoking Law is such a brilliant idea, no hate please. It'll benefit you in the long run because once you start breathing fresh air you'll live longer and blog longer.

Try e-cigar and maybe it'll help you.

Karlie Bradshaw said...

Hi Angie. It was just an initial reaction. :) I'm actually complying with the ordinance now. hehe And you know what, my daily consumption has actually reduced significantly. Like I said from my post, I'm starting to see the light out of this new No-Smoking Law. :) Thanks for the visit! :)

ArvinGrepo said...

Good that you're planning to quit. I quit smoking 1 year and 2 month. :)

Ka-Swak said...

this new law provides an insight to those smokers. hope people will cooperate not only smokers but the community as well.

dont get me wrong but i support the cited law.

Karlie Bradshaw said...

Ei Arvin! How are you, it's been a while! ;) I saw an entry in your chat box re: your father. I'm not sure what' it's all about. I hope you're ok.

So you're "smoke-free" na pala. Good for you! ... and good luck to me! hehe

@ Ka-swak! Ei, thanks for visiting again! hehe I also support the law. :) although, there's a little a adjustment in my part... pero kaya naman! To a smoke-free 2012!!! hehe

Van said...

what can i say k, i have been hearing u telling me about you quitting. The more u try the more cigarsssssssss u take, oh well, i know this "new law" will never stop you from puffing and puffing and puffing until damn! 1 pack.. 2 packs... of ciggy were all over your lungs :D

Karlie Bradshaw said...

People change, Van. I'm smoke-free now - 3 days and counting! ;)